IndyJunior © Bryan Boyer

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Driving on the wrong side of the road...

We have access to a car here in Malaysia but for the first few days we didn't use it, choosing instead to take the bus and taxi's.

Unfortunately, the public transport system out in Subang Jaya really blows. To get anywhere, it's at least an hours ride but by car, it can be as short as 20 mins. So needless to say, we needed to learn how to drive here.

We took some time one day to take the car out just around the complex here seeing how the car drives and making sure we can work the clutch and stuff. We had no intention of leaving to go on any roads yet but as I was driving around all the one way lanes here, it eventually led us to the exit gate. Great! I've got no choice now than to leave...

Look Left, then Right, then Left...I can still remember my driving instructor drilling this into my head...and after 15+ years of doing just that, I needed to reverse it. Stay on the left, stay on the left I kept muttering to myself as we pull out of the gatehouse and make a right hand turn across oncoming traffic.

we went down the street, turned into the coffee shop area, turned around and headed home. All in all, a 5 min. ride and no problems. Sweet.

The only problems I've had so far is getting used to shifting with the left hand and holding the steering wheel with the right hand, always reaching for the seat belt on my left side and the signal bar on the right side.

So far so good.

Oh yeah, and the car we drive is a locally made Perodua Kancil... 659 cc of raw power baby! AND it has AC. SWEEEEET!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home