IndyJunior © Bryan Boyer

Friday, December 29, 2006

My Experience with Tanzania's Medical System

You don't really realize how good the social system actually is in Canada until you travel outside and experience the local system.

I've always been worried about what would happen if we got sick. So far, aside from J's ear problem and the odd stomach bug, we've been pretty good, until today.

I can't say I had a real big problem. But it bugged me enough to warrant a trip to the local clinic.

I've blogged in the past about ear wax. And for whatever reason, my right ear has been blocked up for about 3 months (just before we got to Malaysia the first time). So on and off for 3 months I've put up with not being able to hear once in a while.

When we got to Zanzibar, it was actually getting a dull pain and we were worried it might get infected. So off to see the doctor.

I don't know about the education or what not but the equipment definitely leaves much to be desired. When I explained the problem to the doctor, he pulled out a flashlight, and a conical metal cone (which I hope was sterile) to see inside the ear canal.

I got some drops and spent 2 days trying to clear out the stuff out but it didn't work (I don't think snorkelling helped it). So pretty much it was back to the doctor to get the ear syringed.

I've had this done once before and it was a simple procedure. Took no time at all and was painless (Painless being the key here). Well...in the beginning it was ok. Water, a big syringe, a pan to catch the water. Then all hell breaks loose.

The guy (nurse?) puts the tip of the syringe in, and because it's a metal syringe, the plunger for some reason gets stuck. I guess he's trying to push harder but only really manages to push the metal tip deeper into my ear. Holy Sh!t it was painfull as heck. I pulled away and the guy just grabs my head back and continues to jab this thing into my ear. Somehow finally the water starts coming out, clears up my ear a bit but we still ended up doing about 3 more shots. Each time, the syringe got stuck, and each time, he jabs my ear until it starts shooting water. Man, WD-40 would go a long way here.

Anyways, in the end we were walking back to the hotel and I found some blood on the end of the tissue I put in my ear. Looks like there's a scrap the size of a peppercorn in there now. Nice. At least the drops I got disinfect as well so I guess I'll keep using it for a few days.

Seriously, I don't think I'll complain about our system in Canada anymore. Even about wait times in the emergency....

It's well worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home