IndyJunior © Bryan Boyer

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Customs people with a sense of humor...

Our flight from KL to Dubai was uneventful except for the fact that we took an earlier flight because the one we booked was full. Unfortunately I was not able to convince the ticket counter to upgrade us to first class for this trouble! Too bad.

But it turned out to be good for us anyways since we got into Dubai an hour earlier we had some time to go into the city to see what it was like. This is our first time in the Middle East.

We got up to the customs counter and I asked if they could put the stamp on a used page (see blog about my passport) and the guy kind of sighed and said, nope. Can't do it.

We're like, can't do what? And he said we couldn't go through customs....so I was a bit confused and so was J. But to confuse us even more he continues to scan our passports and then stamps mine....I'm like, ummm...dude, what are you doing?

Then he kind of laughs and asks "Why didn't you ask why you couldn't come in?".

I'm thinking, man, you're customs, I do whatever you say, I don't know your laws....

He then tells me that they're really laid back and easy going (and from what we saw it's true), but then asks us what our background is (Chinese) and then says, yeah, for Chinese nationals, we wouldn't let them in without a Visa ( :0 ).

Anyways, everything was cool and we ended up going through and into the city.

I've never met a customs person outside of Canadian customs ( :) ) who were so friendly! Turned out the lady checking when we were leaving was friendly too....

Be sure to read about our 3 hour adventure in Dubai!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home