IndyJunior © Bryan Boyer

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Welcome to China!

We decided to take a bus from Wan Chai to Dongguan. Thanks to my sis, we were able to get the tickets no problem. $100 HKD one way. The ride was supposed to be 2.5 hours but for whatever reason, it turned out to be 3.5 hours. Lot's of pushing and shoving at the border....nice!

Met up with Jenni's uncle, who drove us back to their place. They have been super nice to us. Took us everywhere, Humen, Zhaoqing (where my family originally was from), fed us like crazy (Sichuan, Mongolian and a few others I don't know of). Tried turtle and frog for the first time! Not so fond of it. Sauce was good. Turtle was boney and frog doesn't taste like chicken. More like fish!

The driving here definitely needs some getting used to. People, bikes, scooters, cars and trucks all seemingly cross together at the same time. I don't think we'll be able to cross streets here in China. We may only see it from one side of the road!

Unfortunately, it's been foggy here too. Not too good for all the site-seeing we've been doing. I'll attach a picture of the 7 Star Crags located in Zhaoqing. Similar to those in Guilin but not as majestic.


We're heading out tomorrow morning on a 4 hr bus ride to visit a different uncle in Shantou before starting out on our own by the end of the week! Yikes!

2 Comments:

  • Another tidbit I remember about china (i'm sharing my thoughts between yours and jenni's comments, gotta spread the love)... no concept of "queueing" or "lining up." I'm sure you saw this kind of action at the border -- just throngs of people pushing in one general direction.

    I remember lining up for something simple like subway tickets. I wish I had a camera -- it was literally a semicircle of people surrounding the ticket booth with their arms outstretched reaching in with their ticket money. to their credo it did move fast -- all the ticket agent had to do was trade a ticket with the money in the hand, and all the hands were right in her face! imagine the efficiencies! no need to say "next please"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:51 a.m.  

  • Remind me so much of my childhood back home.....I mean the shoving and pushing.

    Thought of you and Jenni today. Checking on you both.

    Eddy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home