IndyJunior © Bryan Boyer

Friday, May 12, 2006

Namtso Lake and Winter Camping (Almost)

The last leg of our trip was to go to Namtso Lake. It's one of 4 holy lakes in the area but is the highest lake in the world at 4700 m elevation.

Getting there was fun. Shigatse through country roads where we seldom saw another Land Cruiser. From huge open valley fields, mountain passes, and snow covered mountain passes.

Jenni and I were able to have a snowball fight and build a snowman at the top of one of the passes. My thoughts turned to snowboarding and how I'll miss it next winter and this winter for that matter since we didn't go out that much.


We arrived at the park entrance to the lake and thanks to the barganing skills of the couple from Shenzen, we were able to get in under student pricing. Saved us 30 Yuan per person!

Everything seems to climax at a mountain pass. At the top of this one, Namtso comes in to view and as usual, is beautiful.

Arriving at the lake side, there are many large tents and yurts set up for visitors. We set up in a four person tent dropped our stuff and went for a walk by the lake. It was sunny and warm and we ended up just sitting by the lakeside until we saw some storm clouds brewing. We thought it prudent to go back, and since I was having a big headache from the altitude, I went to rest up.

The storm came over us but it wasn't rain. Hail and snow with thunder and lightening! Something I have never seen before! Check out us two wimps in this storm.

Needless to say we called it a night.

I've never been winter camping before but I never imagined it would be pleasent. I believe I was right. We were in fairly comfortable beds, with 3 huge blankets , thermals, base, fleece jacket, down jacket and I was still miserable! Cold, tired, cold. Maybe it was the headache but I can't say I'll ever try winter camping in Canada.

Next morning we were supposed to get up early and watch the sunrise over the lake. Can't see the sun if it's cloudy and snowing still can ya now? Nope....more sleep!

We decided to head back to Lhasa since the storm wasn't passing soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home