IndyJunior © Bryan Boyer

Friday, May 12, 2006

Rongphu Monastery

Mt. Qomolongma National Reserve or something like that. Another series of crazy switchbacks and we were at the top entering into the park! But not before paying the 405 Yuan car fee and 65 Yuan per person entrance fee in Shegar!

Everest still wasn't in sight but we saw a lot more Tibetans asking for money and food here! A quick picture and GPS reading (5254 m) and we were off.

One more mountain pass and Everest came into view.

It was cloudy unfortunately so the mountain isn't in view. Too bad for us.

We finally make it to where we have to change to an "environmentally friendly" bus to take us up to Rongphu Monastery. That cost another 80 Yuan per person.

I think my idea of environmentally friendly is just a wee bit different from here. I saw before me a 10 year old, sagging, dusty Dodge Cargovan. Nice. Ok I thought, maybe it runs on batteries, or propane, or hydrogen or something other than petrol!

Nope. Driver gets in, starts her up....gas! So I'm thinking cash grab at this point. 405 for our car, 130 for both of us, 160 to get driven in an even crappier car. Ya think?!?!

I do have one thought though. Perhaps this cargovan is equipped with a catalyitic converter? You decide!

One more bumping hour and Rongphu comes in to site with Everest it's backdrop! Amazing! Can't believe I am here!

Our fun isn't over. Since we arrived so late the guesthouse was full so we were being put up in the Monastery! Cool....I thought, until I saw the room. 8 people in a cold, dark room with barely any blankets and a washroom to end all washrooms!

Didn't matter, I'm 8 km away from Everest Base Camp. I just hope I don't have to go #2 until I leave this place!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home