IndyJunior © Bryan Boyer

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Tea in the People's Park...and an ear cleaning!

You are all going to hate me, but it's a hard hard life we lead right now. ;)

After a morning of walking around checking out shops, we ended up in a park to try our hand at drinking tea!


Yes, it was 4 long hours of sitting beside the man made lake, drinking our "Snow Tea", playing cards and eating our pumpkin seeds. I tell ya it was a big bag of pumpkin seeds!

Right when we got there, a few people came up to us ringing these pitch forks and showing us all these little tools with brushes at the end. We finally figured out it was for cleaning your ears!

Now, being Chinese, I grew up with the little metal picker and once in a while when I was a kid my mom would sit me down with a light and proceed to clean the wax outta my ears. I think the closest thing Westerners have are Q-tips. I have also seen the ends of matches used for the same purpose.

This guy had a hand full of tools. The little metal picker, bristles on the end of a stick and these big ass tweezers! After a while, and watching how they do it, I decided that maybe I would try it. Jenni has been getting a bit frustrated at my bad hearing lately and maybe this will help.

At first it wasn't too bad. He went in with his little brush and I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary, then he proceeded to use his little scraper, again nothing different. Next came out his little tuning fork! I don't remember what was in my ear at the time, but when he put the vibrating fork on the tool, the whole inside of my head started shaking! What a weird feeling! I think it was to give me a massage but man, it sure didn't feel like it. Just weird man....weird!

The left ear was pretty clean but the right one...boy oh boy did he pull out this huge piece of ear wax!

Jenni's all happy I can hear again!

The cleaning cost 20 Yuan, a bit steep for what was being done but the experience was worth it I think. Lot's of fun!

2 Comments:

  • What? No pictures of the wax? ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:52 a.m.  

  • Nasty!!!! Ken and I lead a hard life here too... We are sitting at a starbucks, sipping coffee... too bad the barrista does not offer the same ear cleaning service. :P
    Sam

    OH MY GOD! I just finsihed some oatmeal cereal... looks just like a bowl of ear wax. eeewwwwwwwwww :P
    Ken

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:19 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home