IndyJunior © Bryan Boyer

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Who is Right?

This article came out here in Malaysia a few days ago and immediately when I saw the title my thought was "Are you kidding me? How can you tell people how to dress?"

But now that I've thought about it for a few days it's not so clear cut. Now before you all brand me as sexist, hear me out.

There's no place for religion in politics. That's what we hear and (most of the time) that's what happens. Well, what happens when religion is a part of politics? Malaysia is an Islamic country. Now I won't pretend I know the first thing about Islam but why wouldn't the government be influenced by the teachings?

Although I think that perhaps they shouldn't force non-muslims to do this as well. But I don't know what's in their Constitution.

In Canada when we learn about our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, our Constitution etc in school, you just take it for granted that these are a given. Equal rights, free speech, freedom of assembly, it's all normal and we think that it should be the same everywhere in the world.

Obviously it's not, and a lot of the problems today seem to come from all these different thoughts of what is right and what is wrong.

I can leave Canada, but it's hard to take the Canadian out of me. I've had to tell myself so many times on this trip that we're not at home. It's how they are. You can't do anything about it. Many MANY times...

I don't know what the outcome is going to be on this issue. There are groups calling it sexist and outrageous. It's definitely not something that would have even happened in Canada, but it's interesting to see what happens in other parts of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home